~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the mindst of those things and still be calm in your heart." unknown

February 13, 2010

Just Need Some Sunshine

I know that I haven't posted much lately, and I cant say I really have got a good reason for it. As usual, my first graders keep me pretty mentally exhausted. Just when I think they have honestly asked me a million questions, they aways find at least 100 more :) Ive learned a lot in the past 113 days of school. Ive learned a lot about what some of my kids go through each and every day. And I am talking like, things and subjects we were never exposed to when we went through elementary. And it just makes me so sad. I have one student who is in foster because she was sexually abused by a family member. Her mother also abuses drugs.
Anyways, she seemed a little sad one day, so I asked her to have lunch with Mrs. L. It was almost like we were having an adult conversation. She and I talked about a little bit of everything, what she likes to do, who she watches on TV (HannaMontana...of course!) She did mention how she misses her mom, but she told me that because of her moms bad choices she cannot see her, and she knows that she wll get better and they will be able to spend time together again soon. I quote her on this. I can feel the pain through her voice and it just makes me upset, angry and want to cry all at the same time. All I could offer this little girl besides an education, is a hug and let her know I care.
It is days like this, I could use a little more sunshine. I am finding that my job is becoming a lot more harder than I had imagined. Some days, I just come home and ponder what some of my kids go home to. Do they have heat? What about a dinner? Is there an adult to supervise them? And its every day that I get to spend time with them, and enjoy their silly jokes, their amazing personalities, and even their 100 extra questions. So even though I could use a little bit of sunshine right about now. At least I know I am in the right profession. Because in a million years from now, I will know that I as able to make a positive difference. And maybe, thats all the sunshine I need?

1 comment:

  1. So sweet. You're the sunshine in their lives! I remember teachers like you...Mrs. B was one of them. That lady still beams throughout all life has thrown at her.

    You will be remembered.

    Keep your chin up :)

    ReplyDelete